The 21st annual Zanzibar International Film Festival announces the opening of submissions for competition and screening for 2018.
ZIFF is announcing two new categories for 2018, Best TV Series and Best Web Series. With the increased focus on content for TV and digital, and the breaking down of barriers between content types, ZIFF has identified the need to support producers and directors who are working in these mediums.
The category for Best African TV Series will be open to any African produced or co-produced and broadcast within the last two years. Three episodes would need to be submitted for consideration via the on-line application process as below.
The Best African Web Series Award category will have the same eligibility requirements and will recognize excellence in the rapidly expanding area of digital content.
Every year ZIFF has a theme, with the them for ZIFF 2018 being SPEAK UP AND BE HEARD!
OFFICIAL ZIFF AWARDS
Best Feature film
Best Short film
Best Feature from Dhow Countries
Best Short from Dhow Countries
Best Film from International
Best East African Film
Best TV Series
Best TV Programme
Best WEB Series
Films awarded by independent jury panel and judged by Independent Jury Panels.
- Chairperson’s or Bibi Kidude Award (from ZIFF Board)
- ZIFF Lifetime Achievement Award. (From ZIFF Board)
- Sembene Ousmane Prize: GIZ and ZIFF will award the SEMBENE OUSMANE PRIZE FOR DEVELOPMENT FILMS for the 3 best short films made by an African or an African in the Diaspora.
- Bongo Movies Awards: Popular culture films in Kiswahili
- Emerson of Zanzibar Prize Films: Films of all genres about Zanzibar, made by or made in Zanzibar.
- SIGNIS Awards (Best African Film and Best East African Talent Award) The SIGNIS Jury will present its Award to a film that is deemed to exemplify universal and spiritual values that enhance human dignity, justice and tolerance through the art of cinematic expression.
- EAFF Award (European African Film Festival)
- Adiaha Award for BEST DOCUMENTARY by an AFRICAN female Filmmaker